Audition Process and Expectations
The deadline for Drum Major video submissions has passed for the 2024 Drum Major team.
Drum Major Pre-Screening Audition Video:
1. “Interview”: This portion should be at most 4-6 minutes long.
a. Start your video by telling us your full name, where you live, and your current age.
b. Continue by giving us a brief introduction into your previous marching arts (band, drum corps, etc.) experience and any relevant drum major/conducing experiences you have had.
c. Lastly, tell us why you would like to be a drum major, and why at Pacific Crest specifically.
2. Conducting: All exercises and excerpts should be performed with a metronome/recording that is audible in the video. Use the conducting style you are most comfortable with. Your entire body should be visible in the frame for all components of the video submission.
i. 4/4 pattern: Tempos at 90bpm, 120bpm, 180 bpm, 8 measures for each tempo.
ii. 3/4 pattern: Tempos at 90bpm, 120bpm, 180 bpm, 8 measures for each tempo.
Conduct 8 measures of a 4/4 pattern at 120 bpm and 180 bpm. Starting with the first bar, use your left hand to show a crescendo for 1 full measure, then a decrescendo for 1 full measure, all while conducting beats with your right hand. Repeat and continue this pattern for all 8 measures (crescendo 1 and decrescendo 1). Your exercise should end with a cut-off on count 1 after the 8th bar.
3. Conducting Piece
This should be a roughly one-minute excerpt from a piece of your own choice (can be longer, but no longer than two-minutes). Before conducting, explain why you selected this music or what about the piece speaks to you as a conductor. The audio for this piece should be audible as you conduct.
Take your time while recording, and review all components of your video once you are finished. If the video does not present your best abilities and performance, re-record sections as necessary. All videos will be reviewed by a panel of Pacific Crest instructional and administrative leadership, and a small group of applicants will be invited to complete the audition in-person.
If invited to attend our audition camp:
Those candidates invited to the in-person audition camp will be given an opportunity to operate in the Drum Major role at Pacific Crest right away. Candidates will assist with logistical operations of the day-to-day activities of the corps with our returning Drum Majors and will also have opportunities to conduct the Pacific Crest brass line. Candidates should also expect to participate in discussions with Pacific Crest administration and instructional leadership. To be considered in the final in-person audition, candidates MUST attend.
Recommended Skills and Knowledge
- Understanding and demonstration of field conducting skills, including style and musicality.
- Communication and display of effective leadership qualities/strategies.
- Attitude and willingness to learn and receive direction from staff
- Ability to show a confident demeanor under performance and responsibility pressures
- Drum Major Audition FAQs →
Virtual Studio Library
Your online educational resource that includes audition packets and technique manuals. You will find more than 70 videos and demonstrations for brass, percussion, color guard, visual/dance, and field conducting.